torsdag den 17. januar 2008

Devalued Pound creates Shopping Opportunity for Europeans

The 10% drop in the value of sterling against the Euro/Danish Krone is an interesting arbitrage opportunity to get hold of cheaper goods.

For example, I'm a great from of the leisurely, comfortable trip by ferry on the Esbjerg to Harwich route between the UK and Denmark. You can get a cabin, and a decent nights' sleep, then when the fixed price breakfast comes around next morning enjoy a huge Danish buffet selection of breads, meats and cheese. All very relaxing stuff.

Given my work move, I need a ticket and the UK DFDS site quoted me £203 for a single journey to Harwich. The Denmark DFDS site quoted me 2300 krone for the identical ticket, or 15% MORE, when you realise the exchange rate is now 9.93 krone to the pound.

I reckon they set their prices before the decline. It'll be interesting to see when they equalise the distortion. For now though, I took it to mean I should book up the meals as well, and the ticket still worked out cheaper than the Danish price!

Ingen kommentarer: